Saturday, February 11, 2012

Week 6

It's time for another weekly update, and this week was good!  We had school conferences this week, which makes for crazy schedules, no naps, and tired little ones.  We trekked up to Minnesota for a quick trip (no school on Friday) and had a great time together.  We're now home and plan to rest up for the next 36 hours until the week begins again.  I did terrible at taking pictures this week.  :( 

We had firsts this week -
1. trips to the dentist for Zoe first (she did amazing!  no tears at all) and then Etta (only tears with flouride) but no cavities at all!
2.  swimming!  They both loved it.  Zoe was so comfortable in the water.  Lying on her back, putting her face in and blowing bubbles.  Etta was thrilled!  Lots of giggling and screaming.  Fearful at first, but jumping in by the end of the day.  We spent 5 hours in the water!!  I don't think I've been in the pool that long since I was a child.  :)
3.  tubing!  We tried out tubing today in Minnesota, despite the weather.  The sun was shining but it was a frigid 9 degrees with a below zero windchill.  The girls LOVED it.  All Zoe would say at the bottom of the hill was again, again!!  Etta giggled and screamed her way down the hill and quickly learned how the "magic carpet" works.  They did amazing!  The other 3 loved it as well.  Drew was so fast no one could keep up with him!  When we volunteered to go with him, he said, "no thanks."  Probably for fear we would slow him down.  :)  Callie was such a big help.  She carried Etta's tube for her, and stuck with her to help out!  We couldn't have done it without her.  Carson loved it too, though he loved skiing even more.  Mark took Callie, Carson, and Drew skiing on Friday.  It was a bit too much and after a bloody nose and fear of loosing Drew off the bottom of the hill when he bombed it before knowing how to stop, he brought Drew back to the hotel.  Carson and Callie continued skiing and were doing blue runs by the end of the day!  The video is great!  Drew was a little sad, but happy to swim and hang out with us for the rest of the day.
4.  a full day of school for Etta!  She does well, but doesn't love having to go everyday.  She's learning like crazy.  My favorite was the card she brought home for Daddy and Mommy (addressed to us by her) and inside it said "I love you Daddy and Mommy!"  She was so proud!!  All from a girl that has been in school for a week and the US for 6 weeks. 
5.  other firsts - Chick-fil-a dinner at the mall and a short (very short) necessity Scheels trip for snow gear.  Our first real week of COLD.  Our first interaction with a VERY nice couple from Ethiopia today at the tubing hill.  Etta was in full shut-down trauma mode.  Zoe was very comfortable with them.  I felt so horribly for Etta.  I think she was very afraid she was leaving with them.  She was completely back to normal the moment we got in the car.  The couple was so sweet, and even invited us to their home for a meal!  It wouldn't work today, and they were very sympathetic to Etta and how she was feeling.

We've been watching TCU's trust based parenting videos.  A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!  Every technique I've tried has been so helpful.  I LOVE the catch phrases.  It's really helped me deal with the shut-down syndrome that our girls tend to have.  I'm really hoping to go to the Empowered to Connect seminar in Denver.

What a week!  The Lord is good.  He continues to provide for each and every moment, I'm so thankful.  What a complete blessing these girls are to our family.

1 comment:

Messy and Wonderful said...

We have tickets to the ETC conference in Denver in April!!!! How fun it would be to see you there and for our girls to meet!